Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Thankful

Yesterday Luke and I took Jack to his follow-up appointment with his pediatrician, Dr. Mukundan, and I am so very happy to say that he thought Jack looked awesome!

He said for now we'll call what happened Saturday a "spell", and hope it never happens again. If it doesn't, Dr. M is inclined to think it was "intussusception", where (help me out, medical friends) part of one's "gut" temporarily folds into itself (he described it like one of those water weenie toys) and is very painful - so painful that in babies, they'll sometimes go into a shock-like state.
Anyone remember Water Weenies?

Either way, he told us that Jack looks as healthy as a little boy could look, and that he's not worried about his health at all for now. Whew! Maybe Luke and I will start sleeping again now. :) We have never been so thankful for good medical care, and caring, careful doctors. We have made some friends for life, and have more than a few thank you notes to write and cookies to bake for all those who helped us, literally, along the way. 

You know, just before Jack woke up from his nap on Saturday, Luke and I were talking about him, and I was telling Luke that ever since two of our acquaintances lost their little boys, I've had to adjust my perspective on raising Jack. When he was first born, I would think about his whole life ahead of him -- learning to walk, losing his first tooth, starting kindergarten, going to prom, heading to college, having kids of his own...and I was excited about the wonderful, and seemingly inevitable things we would get to walk through with him. In recent months, I've been reminded through watching those around us that, unfortunately, long life and health are not promised for us or for Jack. We are just called to love him and enjoy and be thankful for every moment we have with him. 

When I was holding my son's limp body in my arms on Saturday, begging him to open his eyes and look at Mommy, I was acutely reminded of the words I had just spoken. We prayed in the car that God would restore health and life to him, and we are thankful beyond words that He did. And so, after the appointment yesterday, we headed to one of our favorite places, Pinkerton Park, to swing in the sunshine and breeze and celebrate another day of beautiful, wonderful, life together.


Thank you, God, for our sweet, stubborn, funny, mischievous, crazy-haired, fantastic little boy.

4 comments:

  1. so thankful baby jack (who i have a feeling is becoming toddler jack but who jp still calls baby jack) is safe and healthy! can't imagine how scary that must have been--he is so blessed to have such great parents :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo,

    He is soooooo cute in this picture!

    Glad all is well xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally forgot I had left this comment! Excited to be following you now that I know how to use blogger a bit better!
    :)

    ReplyDelete