Saturday, November 6, 2010

Vulcan Run 2010!

Luke at the (freezing cold) start line!


Luke and I, over the past few years, have picked up a new hobby: running in road races. Now, neither of us have ever claimed to be natural runners or fast at all, but both of us enjoy the challenge of running, the accountability that performance events encourage, and the barbecue/frozen yogurt/beer/quesadilla extravaganza that is usually at the post-race party. :) As a result, there are a few races that have become part of our calendar: Law Enforcement Torch Run, Race for the Cure, Vulcan Run, Mercedes Half Marathon, and Turkey Trot are a few of our favorites. Each has its own fun, challenges, and scenery and we look forward to them each year (as our schedules allow).


Working together to complete tough races are such sweet memories for me in our recent married life. Sometimes on tough hills, Luke's hand on my back is the only thing that keeps me going. One thing that encourages me about the upcoming ultimate physical challenge of labor is not only the knowledge that I've made it through some challenging and even painful physical events before (Nashville Marathon 2009, anyone?) but that I have an awesome training partner/coach in Luke. 


While I was disappointed to not get to run Vulcan with Luke this year (this little guy is just a little too heavy for me to run 6.2 at this point. Major props to you women who can do it!) it was really fun to get to be his cheering section for the first time, as he's been to me in so many races. Luke's been working hard on his run time, and did great this year, shaving 11 minutes off last year's time - even after a double shift and just a few hours sleep. I'm so proud of you, Luke!

No comments:

Post a Comment