Wednesday, October 6, 2010

26 week appointment

Yesterday Luke and I went to the doctor for baby Jack's 26 week appointment! It was so fun to have Luke there while we got an update on our little guy. Hearing his heartbeat is always our favorite part - and it sounded great! This appointment I also got my flu shot, and Rhogam shot and blood drawn for testing since I have a negative blood type and Luke a positive. Yay for no harmful antibodies!


I also had my glucose tolerance screening, which I was curious about since this little guy has been measuring big. A sugary drink, an hour wait, and a finger prick determined we are doing great on that front - blood sugar completely in check. (The nurses kept apologizing for sticking me 4 times in one appointment. They felt worse about it than I did!) And, no swelling or blood pressure issues, so we are good there, too. Apparently baby Jack is just a big guy! How big? Well, this time he measured at...30 weeks! We'll have an ultrasound next time, on the 25th, to get a look at just how big. I'm very curious! Either way, yay for a healthy baby boy!


This week Luke and I also started our parenting classes at the hospital. I'm happy to say we lived through our first birth video. The nurse teaching them is great - she personally has had a long labor followed by an emergency c-section as well as a normal, natural birth post c-section so she has experienced pretty much all sides. Luke said his favorite part was the sheet they gave us with how big our baby's footprints are now. He was shocked at how big they are, but I am more familiar with the size as he likes to stand on my hip bone. :)


(Actual size of average 26 week baby footprints)


Something recent that is special to us is that now any time Jack moves, Luke can feel him. We watch and feel him move every day. In addition, baby Jack now responds to our touch, so when his daddy presses on his little foot, he gives him a kick back! The first part of pregnancy - before we knew if he was doing ok in there, and while I was pretty sick was tough, but still special -- but this part is awesome. The nausea is in check, we can feel him every day, and I can still tie my own shoes just fine. :) We are just soaking up this time of getting to enjoy this little guy, just the two of us. Third trimester is just around the corner, along with holidays and then, before we know it, he will be here!


Now, on to Nashville this weekend for our first baby shower -- and my 10 year class reunion! So exciting! More to come soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment