Monday, October 4, 2010

Boston!

My best friend, Ann, moved up to the Boston area last year for her husband to attend seminary. We all miss them very much, and Luke and I have talked about visiting them ever since. Two months ago, my birthday was approaching, my belly was getting bigger, and Southwest ran a $99 flight special, so Luke decided it was time to go. 

So, Luke and I spent the first week of fall in the Boston area! We stayed two nights at a hotel, thanks to some vouchers we'd been saving up, and the last three with Ann and Brent in South Hamilton. Both halves of the trip were amazing -- we got to see so much and had a wonderful time together and with friends!

We followed the red brick "Freedom Trail" through the city to see all of the sights.

Beautiful Boston Common - one of my favorite parts of the city!

Me and baby Jack at the "Make Way for Ducklings" statue.
Graveyard at Park Street Church, where John Hancock, Sam Adams, and Ben Franklin's
family are buried, as well as, allegedly, Mother Goose
In front of the Old Corner Bookstore, the "Birthplace of American Literature."
The U.S.S. Constitution, "Old Ironsides" docked with the city skyline in the background.

Balcony of the Old State House -- the place where The Declaration of Independence was first read to the people.


Luke on the oldest street still intact in Boston.

We ate at Ye Olde Union Oyster House, the oldest continuously-running restaurant in America! Daniel Webster drank at the same mahogany bar where we had their famous clam chowder & eponymous draft (Luke) made by Sam Adams.
Lobster rolls and fish and chips at The Barking Crab
Trinity Church

Statue of Paul Revere on his famous ride to the Old North Church. 
Boston Naval Shipyard
Luke at Gloucester coast.

Luke and the boys.
Brent, Ann, me, and Luke!
Many of you asked how baby Jack did, and he was great! He let me indulge in the local food without getting sick (I think he loves clam chowder bread bowls and Boston cream pie) and he was a trooper as we walked ALL day, all over the city! I'm glad we went while he's this portable. :)
Luke and I just love visiting new places. It's one of our very favorite things to do together. We love going to a new city and experiencing the food, history, and culture there. I loved several uninterrupted days with him, just having fun together. 


And, seeing where our friends live and their daily lives was really neat. It helps me picture where they are and what their daily life looks like. Plus, we had so much fun with their two boys! It got us extra excited about all we have ahead of us.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing all about your trip to Boston! My favorite picture is the one of you (and Jack) with the ducklings! Someday soon I would like to read "Make Way For Ducklings" to him! Much Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete