Sunday, August 1, 2010

Our Investment Strategy

In our vast six years of marriage experience, Luke and I have learned a few things about what works and what doesn't, and I'll be honest to say we've learned more than a few of those lessons the hard way. Anyone who knows us will tell you we are two of the most unbelievably stubborn people you've ever met. They would also probably agree that Luke and I are just about perfect for each other. (I think that's a compliment?)


One thing we have done since the beginning of our marriage that I would recommend to any couple is that we literally invest in our relationship. Each year, no matter how tight the budget, we always make time and money for at least four days away, just the two of us and no cell phones, Internet, TV, or other distractions. Some people might think it's crazy to spend money on a beach trip when we have many other things we could be saving for, etc, but we think that getting distraction-free time away, just the two of us to talk, rest, and just have fun together is some of our best spent money all year.

Luke is a very hard worker and consistently works three to four extra shifts a week to help make everything work around here, so seeing him sit still for four days or a week and a time makes me so happy.

This year, we took advantage of the late-summer, oil spill scare deals and went to SanDestin for four days.

We ate seafood and drank fruity drinks on the beach:



I laid under an umbrella and read while Luke swam in the ocean. We took long walks on the beach, and came home and cooked fantastic meals that we ate on our patio:


Or sometimes just laid around the house and enjoyed the view:


And, what trip to Destin would be complete without a stop at the Donut Hole? Mmmm. A bag of those hot, homemade creations made the car trip home not quite so sad.


One of my favorite things about our trips is how much I get to appreciate that Luke really is my best friend, and we just have so much fun together. On trips like that I feel like our life is just one really long, fun slumber party. :) Thanks for working hard to give us the opportunity for a wonderful trip, Luke! I'm already looking forward to next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment